Monday, November 12, 2012

Writing Consultant Highlight - Gabrielle Johnson


WRITING CONSULTANT HIGHLIGHT
Gabrielle Johnson

Gabrielle is a sophomore English major (not to mention a writing consultant candidate by default). As you will see, Gabrielle can be classified in several "-phile" categories and recognizes that her major constantly challenges her writing skills. In offering advice to other writers, Gabi may seem to be a packrat, but it is all in good planning.

  See below for Gabi's insights:

As a writing consultant, you know how to put a paper together, but what is your writing process like?
Both creatively and academically, it is the writing equivalent of a small child with their first finger-paints. It seems messy and inconsistent

Let’s face it: No one is perfect. What is your biggest writing challenge?
My time management skills are underdeveloped and often lead to me procrastinating when I probably shouldn’t. That, combined with my inability to hand in a paper I feel is inadequate, often leads to late nights adding new paragraphs and editing old ones.

How does your major help you become a better writer? How has Cedar Crest helped you become a better writer?
I am an English major, so if I can’t write I fail by default. I am constantly challenged in my classes, and the faculty is always willing to spend a bit of extra time discussing my thoughts while helping me develop them into coherent ideas.

What is something interesting not many people know about you? 
I am a bibliophile, cinephile, and music-lover. I spend far too much time listening to music, reading, or watching something. I have over six hundred books on my shelves, hundreds more on my computer, and don’t even ask me about how many albums and movies I own. 

What is your favorite book? Why?
Right now, it is Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. The humour is dry, witty, and very reminiscent of Douglas Adams which is always a plus. And it’s always nice to see two of my favourite authors working together. 

What is your general advice to writers?
Save everything you write, even if you think it’s horrible. Whether it is academic or creative, you’d be surprised how often you can go back and find something salvageable within a bit of writing you thought was nonsense. 


COMMENT BELOW TO OFFER GABI YOUR QUESTIONS AND FEEDBACK!


No comments:

Post a Comment