Monday, September 10, 2012

Writing Consultant Highlight - Stephanie Astacio

WRITING CONSULTANT HIGHLIGHT
Stephanie Astacio

Stephanie is a sophomore Nutrition major. While this is her first semester as a writing consultant, she seeks to pass along useful writing tips and perspectives she's gained so far in her college career. Stephanie believes that her writing skills have helped her in a major that students may not immediately recognize as writing-intensive, nutrition, through its focus on reading comprehension. 

See below for Stephanie's insights.


As a writing consultant, you know how to put a paper together, but what is your writing process like?
I'm pretty organized because of all of the methods I learned in middle school. I typically like to brainstorm any ideas I have. Then I come up with a "game plan" or checklist organizing how I'm putting the rest of the paper together. When I check off a part of my list that I have finished, I feel good and get motivated to finish the next task. It helps me to stay focused, like I'm cheering myself on :) Cheesy but effective!

Let’s face it: No one is perfect. What is your biggest writing challenge?
Getting started and finishing! It takes a lot of effort starting up my ideas and figuring out how to tie everything together.

How does your major help you become a better writer?
Nutrition majors have plenty of research to do which involves plenty of reading. The best way to become a better writer is to become a better reader, so all that reading will pay off.

What is your general advice to writers?
Be patient with yourself and your writing and always look for motivation and inspiration. If you're not the least bit interested in what you're writing about, your paper will show it.

What is something interesting not many people know about you?
I've belly-danced for 6 years and I'm abnormally flexible.

What is your favorite book? Why?
I have a favorite series and favorite book. Series has to be the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. She has the ability to shock, frustrate, and provide an adrenaline rush in each book! If you're looking for a good sci-fi read , that's it. My favorite book would be North of Beautiful, a wonderful tear-jerker that's inspiring.


COMMENT BELOW TO OFFER STEPHANIE YOUR QUESTIONS AND FEEDBACK!


No comments:

Post a Comment